So, I've had the privilege of teaching 3-5 year olds this summer every Sunday night. It's for a VBS-ish kind of thing that our church is doing. It has been a TRIP, let me tell you. These kids are hilarous. Every week I find myself holding my lesson book a little higher to cover the grin on my face. Kids say the darndest things.
So, we've been going through the days of creation. We talked about the day that God made the birds and the fish. I held up a beautiful picture with all sorts of types of birds and fish on them and asked the children if they could name them. Much to my amusement they all (not just one) started pointing at the picture and saying "Fluffy, Bobby, Freddy, etc..." They were naming the birds and the fish - just not in the way that I had thought. I couldn't keep my laughter in.
Then, on a different week we were talking about sin. I asked the kids if they could give me examples of sin. I was expecting like, "Lying, stealing, cheating." You know, the usual. But instead, one lovely child piped up and said "Killing someone." To which another kid added, "Yeah, or kicking someone's face in." Then the kids (each of them not wanting to be outdone) yelled over top of each others voices to add another "sin" to the list. They were each so excited to tell me their "sin" that it took me a few moments to calm them down. What are these kids watching on TV?! Holy cow!
Anyways, in three weeks, I have to whip these kids into shape enough for them to sing a song for the closing VBS ceremony. This will be no small task, since I have a few very special children. I have a chronic butt scratcher (and then the child sniffs her fingers), I have a child that runs around screaming for no apparent reason - ALL THE TIME, these are just a few examples. Sometimes I wake up in the middle of the night just sweating, thinking about this closing ceremony. I have visions of leading them up on stage, hearing the intro music playing, and then....nothing. I have visions of having to sing "Obedience" all by myself because the children are all just staring at me.
Anyways, these are just a few things that I've been thinking about. I've got to go - I've got to teach VBS...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
About Me
- Keara
- I'm happily married to Dave! He's the bomb.
4 comments:
Hey Keara,
This is Kristen (Varner) Armstrong. I just came across your blog. This post just made me laugh. I can relate to how crazy kids after teaching 4th grade the last two years. You never know what may come out of their mouth! Glad things are going well for you and Dave.
Keara,
I just want you to know that I laughed at the "chronic butt scratcher" girl you were talking about.
You better "get them into shape" :=)
Great to hang w/ u and dave last week. Let's do it again...
Gpoppa
i understand completely!!! kids are hysterical. so i didn't know that you had your wisdom teeth out!!! i hope that you are feeling better! love you!
A person in my house, with whom I dwell with, wants to know, how did / is it going?
She finally found this site, with my help - and wants to know, "the rest of the story."
Post a Comment