Thursday, March 26, 2009

Single White Female...

So, last night I went to this class called "Baby Care Basics." It's run by the hospital that we'll be having this little bundle of joy at. I thought it would be a good idea to go, get some ideas, and learn a few things... However, Dave teaches Bible study on Wednesday nights, so I decided rather than to torture him by making him go, I'd just go alone. :)

So, I get to the class, and I'm the first one there. As the room starts filling up with more and more people, I start to realize that I am the only husbandless woman in the room. Also, because my hands are swollen, I can no longer wear my wedding ring...keep that in mind...

So, apparently most of the couples in the room knew each other because of a postpartum depression awareness class they had taken together the night before. They were all discussing the class and talking about how they didn't really feel like they learned too much, etc... Well, the nurse that was co-leading the class spoke up and said, "Well, there are some single mothers out there who don't have a support group and need resources like this..." The whole time she was saying that she was looking at me with an expression that said, "We're here for you, honey. I feel your pain." Which lead the others in the class to look at me in the same way.

*sigh*

I felt like making an announcement. "I really am married! He's just teaching Bible Study tonight!" I wonder if they would have believed me...

6 comments:

Mrs. Dan said...

Hahahahaha! I feel your pain. I had the same experience only I had a few more strikes: I was only 21 and looked it, I look non-white, and my child was in the NICU. Needless to say I got a lot of social worker visits in the two weeks until my ring fit again. ROTFLOL.

The Hendrickson Fam said...

hahahaha.... hahahaha.... thats just so great. I struggled with that too... I was thinking of going to a class and jason didn't want to go and i said "no way! i'm not looking like a single mother!"

bravo for going it alone... you have more guts than i do. did you learn anything new??? or did they just teach the evils of formula and having a baby in a crib and not your bed? ;0)

Unknown said...

no one believes you keara. we know you're a single prego woman!! ;-)

Ken Kistler said...

Keara,

If you and Dave are on the rocks, tell us! We can help you. I'll fly out there and beat the snot out of the guy. Be honest. We're here for you! If he turned out to be a bum, I tried to warn you. We all knew that super-intelligent, super-athletic, super-friendly, super-Biblical, super-loving act was way too good to be true!!!

Love you, sis!!!

Ken

Unknown said...

Oh honey. I am sorry, that is not a good feeling. Here is one for you. Mike had done all of those classes when Austin was born, and really did not want to go to more with Abby, so when I was deciding what hospital to have Abby at I took my friend with me to the class to tour the hospital because she was pregnant as well. i pick her up, and surprise we are wearing the same maternity outfit! We did not think anything of it, we went on our tour, and people kept looking at us. Than the lady doing to the tour looks and says something along the lines that there are all types of couples, and they support all styles. We were horrified, and made it a point to mention our husbands like a thousand time throughout the rest of the tour!

juliechall said...

Funny Keara....I've been trying to figure out a time to go take a tour of our hospital and of course, the only times they are offered are on evenings when Rob works - but I think he's just gonna have to take time off for this one, cause I don't want that to happen :)

About Me

I'm happily married to Dave! He's the bomb.