Friday, March 9, 2007

I ride the bus...

Ok, so I think that unintentionally this has sorta become my blog....we'll see how that goes! :) Most of you know my stellar ability at keeping in touch, so we'll see... :)

So, back to the title. I ride the bus. That's right. We're a one-car family, so that means that sometimes I use public transportation, and I'm not ashamed to admit it! :)

I've been complaining to Dave for some time now about riding the bus. Ok, not the actual riding part, but the people part. After a long day at work all I want to do is climb on that bus and ride home in peace, but NO..... that never happens! I must have something that says "Talk to me about everything - tell me your life story" stamped on my forehead. It never fails. I get on the bus and sit next to the "talker" - EVERYTIME!

So, yesterday was no exception. I got on the bus, sat next to an old man, and was hearing his life story in no time flat. I pulled out a magazine and pretended to read thinking that maybe that would get the message across, but no....

Then God placed a thought in my mind. He has placed me in this situation (the bus) with this "gift" (approachable-ness - is that a word?!) and I am not using it for His glory! I was SO ashamed of myself for being so selfish! So, I put away the magazine, gave the old man my undivided attention, and was able to clearly explain the gospel to him.

Yet another example of God using us despite ourselves...

6 comments:

Jen and Mark said...

hey - that is so neat. i think that way sometimes and always put in my place remembering that God has a purpose in everything. great story!!! :)

Christina said...

Hey girly, I can relate to wanting some quiet time and having that disturbed (I work with preschoolers!) but I am often reminded I've been placed there for a reason. Talk about humbling. Anyway it's great to hear from you ... did Sharon get a hold of you? Will you be in St Vincent during her wedding? Well, I guess I really have nothing else to say. Love ya!

Katie Barker said...

Keara,
that's really awesome. I'm glad God made it so aparent to you! I can't wait to hear about the next talker you sit by!

C and C said...

hey guys! glad to see you are doing well. i personally think there is no shame in riding the bus- and it sounds like you took advantage of the opportunity it gives you to meet new people. you should check our us and our little guy at costoncrew.blogspot. lata!

Unknown said...

Keara!!! I hope that you remember me? I hope so. I was your roommate. Member, Jessica Mayfield. I married Richard Gardner in November. We are living in CO right now where he was from. I hope that I hear back from you. I think about you and miss you a lot. HOpe that you can get back to me. My email is jmay16@gmail.com. But I'm on facebook too if you know what that is. I will have to look you up.

cranny + b said...

Hey Dave and Keara, I think it is time for an update. How are classes? What is your apt like? What is your church like? What are you doing in your church? You know things like that. Keara, Nathan told me you read Sarah's blog, but how cause you never comment? I am really not giving you a hard time, honest, but it would be nice to know you two are still alive out there. Dave, I am really interested in how you are liking seminary out there and what you are studying and thinking. Look forward to hearing from you or reading a new post sometime.

Stephen

About Me

I'm happily married to Dave! He's the bomb.